Last Updated on March 26, 2023 by Admin
Daily exercise is important for the overall health and well-being of your bunny. They essentially need a minimum of 4 hours a day to hop, run, jump, binky, and play. In order to make this possible, your rabbits need to spend most of their time in a large outdoor run or in an indoor playpen. Below are some of the benefits of daily exercise for rabbits.
1. Weight management
Regular exercise helps to maintain a rabbit’s weight which helps prevent obesity and other health-related issues. In other words, daily exercise helps to burn calories and also helps improve a rabbit’s muscle tone. This can be achieved through a rabbit’s engagement in daily physical activities. In addition, a healthy balanced diet is also pivotal when it comes to a rabbit’s weight management.
2. Cardiovascular health
Another benefit of exercise for rabbits is the cardiovascular health improvement. To be specific it helps promote blood flow that supports the proper functioning of the heart. In other words, it helps strengthen the heart muscle by making it more efficient at pumping blood. As a result, this helps deliver oxygen to the rest of the body.
3. Prevents health and behavioral issues
Exercise also helps to prevent or alleviate common physical and behavioral issues that affect rabbits. Below are the three main ones.
- Arthritis: Regular exercise is essential for rabbits since it helps improve flexibility by strengthening the muscles around the joints. This as a result helps to relieve the pain and stiffness associated with arthritis.
- Digestive issues: Regular exercise for rabbits helps to promote gut motility which helps prevent the buildup of gas in their digestive tract which slows down the digestive system. Exercise promotes hydration and also increases a rabbit’s appetite which in turn helps to keep its digestive system functioning properly.
- Aggression: Lastly regular exercise can help reduce rabbit aggression by providing an outlet for natural behavior such as digging, exploring, and foraging. As a result, this keeps your bunny content and less aggressive.
4. Boredom and energy release
Regular exercise for rabbits is beneficial since it not only provides mental stimulation but also helps to release pent-up energy which in turn makes your bunny happier and more content. In addition to daily exercise for your rabbits, also provide them with a variety of toys. They may include tunnels, chew balls, or puzzles to further provide mental and physical enrichment.
5. Bonding and socialization
Lastly, engaging with your rabbit during exercise time is vital when it comes to strengthening the bond between the two of you. Besides engaging your bunny in interactive games that encourage physical activity, you can also groom, cuddle, or feed them. This in turn promotes socialization which in turn leads to building trust with your rabbit.
Daily exercise for your bunnies has many benefits that help improve their overall quality of life. As a result, your rabbits may live healthier and longer lives.